God Knows What He’s Doing!
Happy 4th of July!! I hope you’re celebrating the day with friends and family and soaking up some sunshine. I love this holiday because it celebrates freedom, and we know, deep in our souls, that freedom is good.
But in the midst of our fireworks and hot dogs, I hope we remember that the freedom we celebrate today in the USA is the smallest, tiniest portion of the freedom that the Lord wants to offer us. We desperately need freedom. From addiction, repetitive sins, complaining, hopelessness, frustration, anger, disappointment… the list goes on. We carry burdens we were not meant to carry, but today is another invitation to release these heavy loads and receive the freedom of Christ.
A freedom I’ve been basking in recently is the truth that “God knows what He’s doing.” Even if I am uncertain, fearful, confused, or lost, I can trust with my whole heart that God is good, He loves me, and I can trust Him. And so, whenever something happens that I didn’t expect or maybe even want, I remind myself that “God knows what He is doing” and feel a rush of peace and freedom descend.
So what do you need freedom from? Is it an intrusive thought that makes you question your beauty or value? Is it endless screen time that makes it hard to be present? Is it a habit or pattern that keeps you stuck repeating the same mistakes over and over again?
Take a moment today to reflect on the thoughts, actions, or desires that are holding you captive, keeping you back from the freedom and goodness that God is offering you today and always. You might come away with a phrase like the one I shared above or a prayer or scripture verse that you can call to mind when the temptation to fall back into old patterns and habits hits.
Every day we are offered a new opportunity to walk in the freedom of Christ. It’s ours to receive if only we say yes. To close out today’s reflection, I want to remind us of Isaiah 61:1-3:
Because the LORD has anointed me;
He has sent me to bring good news to the afflicted,
to bind up the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
release to the prisoners,
and a day of vindication by our God;
To comfort all who mourn;
a diadem instead of ashes,
To give them oil of gladness instead of mourning,
a glorious mantle instead of a faint spirit.
Let us all walk with a glorious mantle, trusting that Jesus came to set us free! Have a wonderful holiday – I’ll see you next week 🙂
What we’re loving lately:
Podcast Episode 76: 2023 Word of the Year updates! with Erica Carnohan
- This week, Erica and I sat down to talk about our words of the year (“providence” and “abundance” respectfully) and how they’re going now that we’re officially halfway through the year! If you missed our first episode on this topic introducing our words, head to episode 66 to hear the full stories of why we chose these words and our initial plans for them. We’d love to hear how your words are going! Reply to this email to let me know. Tune in here on Apple Podcasts and Spotify!
- I shared this litany on our Instagram last week after Erica* suggested that we needed a litany of the present moment. Here you go!
- This is a *classic* novena for any time there’s something tricky in your life you need to get figured out or untangled – I’ve prayed it for friendships, jobs, and lots of other things that have me feeling trapped (#freedom!). I highly recommend it if you’re looking to surrender something to Mary who is the QUEEN of undoing tricky knots in our lives and hearts. Warning: it’s very, very powerful, so buckle up!
Being on a boat
- My dad snapped this photo today, and it’s safe to say that this will be me all week. Every time I feel tempted to think I’m supposed to be somewhere else or doing something else, I’m reminded that God has me exactly where I need to be! I hope you remember that this week, no matter where you are – it’s where you’re supposed to be!
*Yes, this was the same amazing Erica who is in this week’s podcast AND who helped me redesign my email template so these words aren’t running off your phone screen. She’s a phenomenal friend!
- For good friends!
- For all those traveling for the holiday
If you or a loved one need prayers, just reply to this email or reach out and I’ll include them in next week’s newsletter!
More Like This
Have you listened to our podcast yet? Find it on iTunes, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else you listen to podcasts! A full directory can be found here. I can't believe we're wrapping up our Fruit of the Spirit series! This has been so much fun for me – and I...
For the past few months, I've slowly been making my way through the book, Abandonment to Divine Providence. It is so good, and I usually have to pause after each page to fully digest what I've just read. I also frequently send photos of pages to friends, and I've been...
Have you listened to our podcast yet? Find it on iTunes, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and anywhere else you listen to podcasts! A full directory can be found here. Courtney Taylor is here and today we’re talking all about love!! What is love? How do we define it...
Jane was born in Australia, raised in California, and is overjoyed to now call NYC home. She graduated from UCSB with degrees in Political Science and Communication and spent the past two years working in criminal justice reform. She is currently an MBA student at NYU Stern, focusing on entrepreneurship and strategy.